Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Thursday, October 22, 2015

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

OFF THE WIRE

Dear Big:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opinion about citizenship rules for children who are born in the United States.

I understand your concerns about the impact of individuals who do not have proper documentation in the United States.  However, under the United States Constitution, all people who are born in the United States are automatically granted U.S. citizenship.  Prior to 1866, it was generally held that, under the common law principle of jus soli, a person born in the United States acquired citizenship at birth.  This principle was incorporated into the Civil Rights Act of April 9, 1866, and, two years later, was explicitly stated in the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution.

I support a tough and smart reform of U.S. immigration laws, including the construction of effective barriers along the U.S. – Mexico border in order to deter unauthorized immigration and help regain control of the immigration system.  Please know that I will be mindful of your point of view if I have an opportunity to consider legislation on U.S. citizenship rules in the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-3841 if you have any further questions or comments.  Best regards.


Sincerely yours,


  Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator


Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov. And please visit my YouTube, Facebook and Twitter for more ways to communicate with me.